Poha or aval upma a common breakfast dish of west as well as south is prepared in various ways to bring in a twist to the plain one. An ingredient when added or left out brings in a change in flavour as well as taste to the dish.
Sharing with you a recipe which use potato and is commonly known as 'Aloo Poha' in the western region of India. I slice them thin to reduce the cooking time.
This can be prepared either with or without onion and tomatoes, but tastes good in whatever combo you prepare.
You will need :-
- Thick Flattened Rice - 1 cup (Jada poha / Getti avil)
- Poatao - 1 Medium size
- Curry Leaves - 1 sprig
- Onion - 1no. (optional)
- Tomato - 1no. (optional)
- Ginger - 1/2" piece
- Green chilli - 2 No. (or as preferred)
- Coriander leaves - 2 tbsp (finely chopped)
- Asafoetida Powder - 1 pinch
- Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Lemon juice - juiceof half lemon
Soaking the Flattened Rice:-
- There are two varities of Poha (flattened rice) viz white and red one. Red one is more healthier. These two varities are of two types. Thin variety and thick variety.
- Put the poha on a sieve or soup strainer, show under running tap by mixing gently with your hands. This serves two purpose. One, it gets washed nicely. Second, the moisture absorbed will help soaking the flattened rice (poha).
- Keep the seive aside for 3 minutes.
- If required, you may repeat the process of showing it under running water again and place it for 5 minutes.
- If you are using thin variety then show it under running tap only once.
- While the flatened rice is getting ready, let us prepare the vegetables for the dish.
- Finely slice the potatoes (cut the potato into half. then again cut each piece into two. now slice them)
- Finely chop Onion, Tomato, Ginger, Green Chilli, Coriander leaves (quick tip for chopping ginger)
- Heat oil, add mustard seeds. When it start spluttering, add Cumin seeds. After the cumin seeds splutter, add curry leaves.
- Then add sliced Potatoes and fry till it is 3/4th done
- Add finely chopped Onion, Ginger and Green chilli. Fry till it becomes translucent
- Add finely chopped Tomatoes and fry till they become mushy
- Add Turmeric powder, salt, finely chopped coriander leaves, mix well
- Add the soaked Flattened Rice (poha) and mix well
- Lower the flame and let it stand for two minutes.
- Switch off the stove and let it stand for 5 more minutes
- Open, add the lemon juice, mix well and serve hot