The method i have given is the traditional way that is prepared in our home.
- small black channa - 1 cup (soak overnight & pressure cook)
- grated coconut - 2 tbsp
- Red chilli - 2 or 3
- Dhania - 1 tsp
- jeera - 1/4 tsp
- Small onion - 10 nos.
- Big onion - 1 chopped
- curry leaves - 1 sprig
- mustard - 1 tsp
- coconut oil - 1tbsp
- Tamarind water - 1 tbsp or puree of one tomato
- Salt to taste
This dish tastes better in coconut oil.
- Heat a kadai, dry roast, red chilli, dhania, jeera separately and transfer to same plate.
- Now add grated coconut and roast till turns red & gives out good aroma.
- Transfer to a plate.
- Heat little coconut oil, saute small onions. transfer to coconut mixture.
- cool this and grind together with the dry roasted masals to a nice paste by adding water.
- Heat oil, add mustard seeds, when splutters, add chopped onion saute till translucent.
- If tomato is used, add it now and saute till raw smell goes.
- Then add the boiled channa, required salt, ground masala. cover & cook in low flame for 5 minutes till the masala get absorbed in chana.
- Add curry leaves sprig and serve hot with puttu.
This also goes well with plain rice, chapathi too.