Daabeli originated in the Kutch region of Guajarat. It is a salty, spicy, tangy, sweet snack. Aloo masala is stuffed inside the ladi pav, garnished with onion, coriander leaves, pomegrante seeds and sev. Buttered & roasted crispy on tawa top.
Dabeli will not be good in all shops. If you keep hunting, if you are lucky you will end up finding a good one. Most of the shops sell only the sweetest ones. So tried to prepare at home suiting to our taste with an equal ratio of the different tastes and flavour. sharing with you the recipe.
Prepare the Daabeli Masala Powder
Ingridients :- (makes 3 Nos)
- Potato - 2 medium sized
- Jeera - 1/2 tsp
- Butter / ghee / oil - 2 tbsp
- Daabeli Masala - 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Onion - 1
- Pomegranate seeds - 2 tbsp
- Coriander leaves - 3 tbsp
- Sev - 2 tbsp (optional)
- Garlic Groundnut chutney
- Tamarind Chutney
- Green spicy chutney
- Pav bread
- Boil, peel and mash potatoes completely
- Heat oil in a wok, add jeera, daabeli masala and saute for 10 seconds
- Add mashed potatoes, salt and water and cook the mixture well to let the masala blend.
- Cook till water is absorbed completely and the masala becomes dry and thick
- Add pomegranate seeds, chopped coriander leaves, mix well and keep aside
- Take the pav, cut it in 'L' shape (i.e.) slit two sides keeping the other two intact.
- Apply tamarind chutney, garlic groundnut chutney, green chutney
- sprinkle some onion, stuff potato mixture
- heat a tawa, apply some butter, roast both sides of the pav till they become crisp
- sprinkle sev and chopped onions on the sides, yummy daabeli is ready to be relished!
If you don;t have time to make the chutneys separately, you can grind them together.
- Tamarind - lemon sized (soak till they become tender)
- Dates - 8 nos (soak along with tamarind)
- Jaggery - 3 tbsp
- Green chillies - 5 nos
- red chilli powder - 2 pinch
- Coriander leaves - 1/2 cup
- Mint leaves - 1/4 cup
- Salt to taste
Grind the above ingridients together and use for daabeli and other chat items too.