Lemon has such a nice citrus flavour which is soothing for the soul. It leaves us refreshed with the flavour and when pickled makes a wonderful combination with curd rice.
We always like the home made pickles, hence every season I buy the veg that is available in the market during that season and this time, it is lemon.
The process will take 12 to 15 days for the pickle to be ready to use. Oil, salt and spices act as preservative. This pickle will stand good for 7 days at room temperature. So you can store it in fridge for longer period [mine is still running :-) ]or mix in 3 tsp of vinegar to store for longer periods. If you are planning to make it in bulk quantity, you can store the large quantity in freezer. Transfer it to a small container whenever required for use.
- Lemon - 14 Nos.
- Salt - 7 tsp (heaped)
- Red chilli powder - 5 tbsp
- Turmeric Powder - 1 tsp
- Methi seeds - 2 tsp
- Sesame oil - 1 & 1/2 cup
- mustard seeds - 1 tbsp
- Hing powder - 1 tsp
- Sterilize the bottle you are going to store the pickle and dry, keep it ready.
- Wash lemon and wipe it with a clean cloth
- Chop a lemon into four. similarly keep all the lemons cut and ready.
- Sprinkle the salt over it and leave it to stand for 7 days, don't forget to mix them daily during those 7 days atleast twice a day.
- 8th day, Dry roast methi seeds, powder & keep ready.
- Heat oil, add mustard seeds, after they splutter, switch off the flame.
- Allow it to cool for a minute.
- Add hing powder (asafoetida) and allow it to cool for 5 minutes
- To the soaked (pickled) lemon pieces, add red chilli powder, Tumeric Powder and methi seeds powder, mix well.
- Adjust the seasoning as per your taste (salt & red chilli powder)
- Add the oil with mustard seeds to it, mix well and store it in the clean container for another 7 days.
- Yummy flavourful lemon pickle is ready to accompany your dish to enhance the flavour & taste of the dish.